How to use this course
Before we begin...
Regardless of your project methodology, business requirements gathering is a key contributor to success. When asking "what were the primary causes of these (project) failures?**", the PMI Pulse of the Profession 2018 report listed 17 items. Below is the top 3 reasons for project failure as listed in the report.
Key Findings *
- There has been a continued and significant increase in project activity in the past four years across all sectors.
- However failure rates are also increasing – with survey results showing that only one-third of projects are delivering the desired outcomes.
- The type of projects New Zealand organisations are currently focusing on include growth and efficiency initiatives, developing information technology and to support organisational change.
- However, leading change in the organisation is the most lacking skill in project management professionals today.
- Only 29% of projects are delivering to budget and only a fifth of projects are consistently delivering on their planned benefits. These results represent a dramatic waste of resources in NZ businesses.
- Whilst most projects have active and engaged sponsors, only 10% are seen as providing extremely effective governance activities.